This amazing Lemon Garlic Shrimp Rice is possible if you can cook rice. This recipe is easy enough to make for company or on a date night. As I put forkful after spoonful of this recipe into my mouth, I am constantly asking myself, “how can so few ingredients create so much flavor?” 🙂
HOW DO YOU USE SHRIMPS?
For this recipe, raw shrimp is the best choice. Also, frozen shrimp will usually be cheaper than fresh shrimp. It doesn’t matter if you buy them unpeeled or peeled. Frozen shrimp come deveined in most cases, making it super easy to peel. If you need a tutorial on peeling and deveining shrimp, Simply Recipes has it.
For this recipe, I used medium-sized shrimp. This is the right size for this dish. I used 41-60-sized shrimp, approximately 41-60 shrimp per pound. Higher numbers equal larger shrimp, as it takes less shrimp to make a pound. Lower numbers equal smaller shrimp.
TAIL ON or TAIL OFF
You can choose to either remove the shrimp tails or leave them on. It makes the dish more enjoyable to eat. However, it is better to leave them on. The tail can add more shrimp flavour to the rice while they steam together, but it might not be as obvious as most people realize.
IS IT PERFECT TO MAKE THIS IN A RICE COOKER?
This should work well in an Instant Pot or rice cooker! To use the rice cooker:
- Add all ingredients (except shrimp) to the cooker.
- Cook as normal.
- Once the rice is done, add the shrimp and close the lid.
Let the shrimp steam for 5-10 mins or until they are opaque and cooked through. You will need to release the Instant Pot’s rice after being cooked. Once the shrimp are added, close the lid and allow the Instant Pot to heat for 5-10 minutes, or until the shrimp is opaque and cooked through.
Both machines require that the lid be kept closed for two minutes before adding shrimp. To continue cooking the shrimp, you want to ensure that the steam is trapped as much as possible.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH LEMON GARLIC SHRIMP AND RICE
I love to ensure that every meal includes a variety of colours and some vegetable action. Here are some ideas to help you get started.
- Lemon Pepper Zucchini
- Mediterranean White Bean Salad
- Roasted Asparagus & Tomatoes
- Lemon Butter Green Beans
- Simple Side Salad
- Super Fresh Cucumber Tomato Salad
ONE POOT LEMON GARLIC SHRIMP AND RICE
- This easy to make Lemon Garlic Shrimp with Rice requires only one pot and 8 ingredients. It’s quick, simple, and delicious!
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Servings: Each 1.5 cup
- 12 oz. shrimp (41-60 size) ($4.99)
- One fresh lemon ($0.60).
- 4 cloves of garlic ($0.32)
- 2 Tbsp Butter ($0.24)
- 1.5 cups white long-grain rice (0.93)
- 2 cups chicken broth ($0.26)
- 1/2 cup water (0.00)
- 1 tsp Tony Chachere seasoning* ($0.10)
- 2 Tbsp chopped Parsley ($0.09)
- Ensure to thaw and peel shrimp before you begin if the shrimp has been frozen. You will need approximately 2 tablespoons of juice. Slice the remaining lemon to garnish.
- Mince the garlic. Place the minced garlic in a large skillet with the butter. Cook the garlic for about 1-2 minutes on medium heat.
- Continue to cook the rice for another 1-2 minutes. As the butter heats, you should hear the rice crackle and snap as it cooks in the butter.
- Add the chicken broth, 2 Tbsp of lemon juice, water and Tony Chachere’s seasoning salt. Mix well.
- Turn the heat to medium-high and cover the skillet with a lid. Let the broth come to a boil. Turn the heat to low, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes of simmering, the majority of the broth should have been absorbed by the rice. To scatter the shrimp, lift the lid and sprinkle them over the rice. Place the lid back on the skillet and cook the shrimp for 5 more minutes.
- The skillet should be taken off the heat. Allow it to cool for five minutes, with the lid still on, before cooling down. Once the skillet has cooled, remove the lid. The shrimp should be transparent and pink.
- You can use a fork or a spoon to fluff the rice gently. Then, add the cooked shrimp and stir it in. Sprinkle with the remaining lemon slices and extra chopped parsley if desired. Serve immediately
- *Or your favourite seasoning salt.