This is a PSA, not a recipe. The idea isn’t new. If you aren’t familiar with adding peanut butter to instant ramen noodles, then I can tell you that this is something you absolutely should try. Spicy Peanut Butter Ramen is quick and filling. It can also be customized in a multitude of ways. Let me explain the basics so you can create your version!
Although I don’t know where this genius idea came from, adding peanut butter to instant noodles is likely a simplified version of Dan Dan Noodles. This spicy Chinese noodle dish combines Sichuan Chiles, sesame paste and peanuts. This chile-peanut combination has been around for years, and it’s a great one! It is addictive.
HOW DO YOU USE PEANUT BUTTER?
Natural-style peanut butter is the best. It’s made from just peanuts, with a little bit of salt and no added oils. This peanut butter has a stronger peanut flavor than the processed, heavily sugared versions.
You may have to substitute natural-style peanut oil for it.
CAN I MAKE IT NOT SPICY?
Chili garlic sauce adds heat to the dish and garlic and acidity. You can make this recipe without the chili garlic sauce. Instead, you can use this Peanut Lime Dressing.
WHAT ELSE CAN YOU ADD TO YOUR PEANUT BUTTER RAMEN?
Spicy Peanut butter Ramen can be made more interesting by adding different proteins and vegetables. Here are some suggestions:
- Grilled chicken
- Red bell pepper
- Baked tofu
- Red onion
- Shredded carrot
- Snow peas
- Sesame seeds
Do I need the RAMEN SEASONING PACKET?
This recipe can be made without the seasoning packet. You can skip the soy sauce if you don’t want to use the seasoning pack. It adds salt to the ramen.
SPICY PEANUT BUTTER RAMEN
Peanut butter can be added to instant ramen to add more flavor and protein to this cheap comfort food. Prep time: 5 minutes Cook Time: 5 minutes Total Time: 10 minutes
- 2 Tbsp peanut butter, natural style ($0.25)
- 1 Tbsp chili garlic sauce* ($0.13)
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce ($0.06)
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar ($0.04)
- 1 3oz. Packet instant ramen (seasoning discarded). ($0.25)
- 1 green onion, cut ($0.10)
- Mix the peanut butter with the chili garlic sauce, soy sauce, and brown sugar together in a bowl. Blend until you have a smooth paste
- Bring a small saucepan of water to boil on high heat. After the water has boiled, add 1/4 cup of the water to the peanut-chili paste and mix it until it becomes a smooth sauce.
- Boil the ramen noodles without the seasoning packet in boiling water for 2 to 3 minutes or until tender.
- Drain the noodles and return them to the saucepan with the heat off. Stir the peanut sauce into the noodles and mix well. Serve immediately with the sliced green onions.
*If you prefer, you can substitute sriracha with chili garlic sauce.
Serving Size: 1 serving Calories: 621.8 Kilocalories: 69.2 G Protein: 17.8g Fat: 30.3g Sodium: 2675.4mg Fiber: 4.9g