This chocolate chip banana bread recipe is the best way to make the most of ripe fruits! Brown butter gives it a sweet and moist flavour.
Are you a banana farmer with ripe bananas on the counter? This Chocolate Chip Banana Cake is a delicious way to use them. The browned butter gives the loaf a rich, nuanced flavour. The loaf is perfectly moist and studded with semisweet chocolate bits. It also smells just right with a hint of cinnamon. It’s heaven.
This recipe for chocolate chip banana bread contains the following ingredients.
These chocolate chip banana loaves of bread are fairly standard, except for the brown butter, which we’ll discuss below. This recipe uses whole wheat flour than the standard and has fewer chocolate chips than the regular. However, it is just as delicious. These are the ingredients that you will need:
- Very ripe bananas
- Granulated sugar
- Baking soda and cinnamon, as well as salt
- All-purpose flour
- Whole Wheat flour
- Semisweet Chocolate Chips
Brown butter tips
This chocolate chip banana bread is the best! Brown butter is used to flavour the bread. Browned butter refers to butter that has been heated until it turns a light brown colour. This gives the butter a complex and nutty taste. Browned butter is easy to make and takes only a few minutes. Here are some tips:
- For even melting, slice it into pieces. This allows the butter to melt at the same temperature as a whole stick.
- Butter browns quickly, so be sure to keep an eye out. Keep your butter warm on the stove. You can quickly go from brown to burnt.
- To stop the cooking, transfer it to a bowl. This will prevent it from burning. Let it cool for a few minutes before adding the wets to your batter.
Mix-ins and flavour combinations
You can make chocolate chip banana bread, but you can also add other flavours or mixes-ins to impress the person you are baking for. Here are some ideas:
- Chop nuts: Add 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- Other chips Mix peanut butter and chocolate chips or butterscotch chip chips
- Sea salt: Add some flaky sea salt to the top of the cake after it has been baked.
- Orange zest Add 1/2 teaspoon orange zest into the batter
- Bourbon: For a boozy nuance, add 1 tablespoon of bourbon
- Sprinkles You can sprinkle some sprinkles on top of the cake, because why not?
- 1 1/4 cups mashed very ripe bananas (3 medium bananas)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs (or flax eggs for vegan)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Butter a loaf pan 8- or 9-inch in size.
- Brown butter. Heat butter in a large skillet on medium heat. Let the butter melt, turn foamy and then start to smell nutty. Remove from heat immediately and allow to cool in a bowl for about a minute before you add the batter to it.
- Prepare the batter. Mix the bananas in a large bowl. Make enough to make 1 1/4 cups. Add the vanilla extract, sugar, egg, and egg to the bowl. Once the butter is ready, add the browned butter.
- Mix the baking soda, cinnamon and all-purpose flour in a separate bowl. Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl. Use a spoon to mix. Fold in 1/2 cup of chocolate chips.
- Bake: Pour batter into a loaf pan. Top with 1/4 cup of chocolate chips. Bake for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the loaf comes out clean. The internal temperature of the loaf should be 200 degrees. Optional: Sprinkle flaky sea salt on the bread after being taken out of the oven.
- Let the pan cool for 15 minutes. Next, run a knife along the edges of the loaf and invert it onto a cooling rack. Serve the bread warm or at room temperature. Storage information: Bread can be stored at room temperature for 4 to 5 days, wrapped in aluminium foil and refrigerated for 10 days. It can also be frozen for 3 months by wrapping it in plastic wrap and then in a freezer-safe container or bag.